Express Engineering was established in 1973 as a three-person operation. Steady growth followed, supplying a mainly local industrial market and then national and international customers.
Key milestones in our history are:
Additional manufacturing space on the Team Valley provides a dedicated welding facility with additional rigs being acquired to support weld cladding and butt welding.
- A £6.5m investment sees a further 32,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing space leased on the Team Valley.
- A multi-tasking Mazak machine – the first of its kind in the UK and only the second in Europe – is installed.
- An apprenticeship programme is introduced in the aerospace division.
- Placed 8th in the Sunday Times BDO Profit Track 100 league table.
- Spectacular growth earns 52nd spot in the Sunday Times International Track league table.
- 200th employee appointed.
- Winner of the Engineering Employers Federation Future Manufacturing Award for Business Growth.
- Turnover breaks through the £30m mark.
- Celebrated 40 years in business.
- Listed as ‘one to watch’ in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 of growing private enterprises.
- Regional winner of the Manufacturing Award for Tyneside and Northumberland.
- Takes full control of Petrotec in Brazil.
- Acquires the business and assets of Burdon Limited in North Yorkshire, saving 70 jobs.
- 100th apprentice employed.
- LDC (a private equity investor) backs our expansion strategy and takes a minority stake in the company.
- £1.5m invested in new equipment to meet worldwide demand for products.
- An additional 20,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing floor space comes on stream at our fourth Team Valley factory.
- A further £1m investment in Petrotec, relocating to facilities in Sao Paulo and doubling manufacturing space.
- Rival, Northern Precision Engineering, bought out of administration, saving 40 jobs.
- Recognised for health and safety excellence, being awarded OHSAS 18001 certification.
- Established a joint venture in Brazil with Brastec Ltda. creating Petrotec Components Ltd.
2008 - 2009
- Acquired additional 17,000 sq. ft. of factory space adjacent to the main factory.
- Invested a further £1m in plant and equipment – supported by SFI and One NorthEast.
- Now operating from three units, with 58,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing space.
2005 - 2006
- Made a £1m plus investment in additional capacity and capability, including weld cladding and assembly and test facilities – supported by SFI grant funding from One NorthEast.
- Achieved IIP accreditation – only the second company in the north to do so.
- Moved into a purpose built factory on Team Valley, which was opened by HRH Prince Charles.
- Became the smallest company ever to win the British Quality Award.
- One of the first sub-contract machining companies in the UK to achieve BS5750 accreditation.
- First subcontract precision machining business to invest in to CNC machining.
- First apprentice employed.
- Company founded.